Indispensable: How Much Magnesium Do I Need| June 07, 2021
Have you ever wondered: How much magnesium do I need? Minerals are crucial for the uninterrupted functioning of our body. Magnesium has an accentuated relevance out of all the minerals and it supports the function of as much as 400 enzymes. It is the eighth most common element in the earth’s crust. It is found in high quantities in certain layers of rock (magnesite, dolomite), minerals and mineral water reserves.
As our body is not capable of producing magnesium, we need to make sure to supplement with it. Sadly enough, however, its low levels in the body are considered an endemic. Researchers refer to magnesium deficiency as the silent epidemic of our time not just by random chance but because currently there is no reliable method to detect this deficiency disease. According to a survey carried out in the U.S., more than 80% of the people suffer from magnesium deficiency. What could be the reason behind all this? Modern agriculture and food processing causes our diet to be deficient in essential minerals. Potassium, phosphate and nitrogen based artificial fertilizers have gained dominance over natural fertilizers contributing to the destruction of our soil.
This means that no matter how much vegetable we consume, it will not be able to provide us with the amount of magnesium that we need as it does not even get into our body’s systems, and even if it does to some extent, there is no guarantee that it gets absorbed.
Furthermore, humanity has taken to lifestyle changes such as becoming less active, consuming increased amounts of alcohol as well as magnesium depletion resulting from the side effect of various medications.
At this point the question may arise: What can we do if it is not possible to properly identify magnesium deficiency?
Only 1% of our magnesium reserves are found in the blood and 0.3% in the serum. Therefore, clinical blood trials cannot always identify magnesium deficiency. There are, however, causes of magnesium deficiency that are related to our lifestyles, and as such, you may be able to identify it in yours.
What may these causes be?
- Consumption of fizzy drinks
- Consumption of candies and cookies (i.e. increased amount of sugar intake)
- Stress Consumption of beverages with caffeine content
- Taking diuretics, heart medications, asthma medications, birth control pills or estrogen replacement medications
- Excessive alcohol consumption (more than 7 glasses of drinks per week)
- Taking calcium supplements that do not contain magnesium or contain magnesium in lower than a 1 to 1 ratio
If either of the above are true for you, and you are over the age of 55, it is particularly important that you increase the level of your magnesium intake.
So, how do you replenish your magnesium?
Topical Magnesium Application Guide and Use
ŐSIMAGNESIUM products use ultra pure, 100% naturally occurring magnesium chloride brine which is mined from 2000 meters (6562 feet) deep, from the ancient Zechstein Sea from the Netherland. This genuine Zechstein Magnesium has remained isolated from external forces for the past 250 million years, unexplored until now, keeping it pure and clean.
This ancient sea water is extremely salty. It has 31% Magnesium Chloride salt concentration. Compare this to our oceans, which have only 3% salt (Sodium Chloride). Because of this very high salt concentration it has an oily feeling versus water like normal sea water. Due to its oily texture, ŐSIMAGNESIUM is able to extract it from the ocean floor with minimal damage and disturbance to its environment.
When applying magnesium oil or magnesium gel you get the highest concentration of magnesium. It is highly recommended to avoid direct contact with eyes, mucous membranes, open wounds and other sensitive areas such as your face. If redness or irritation occurs, rinse with cool water.
How to use ŐSIMAGNESIUM Oils
ŐSIMAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM OIL use the purest, truly genuine Zechstein quality magnesium oil for quick and efficient restoration of intracellular magnesium levels. Pour a few drops of magnesium oil to your palm (half a teaspoon is 2.5ml) and rub it to your skin using gentle massaging motions. Massage speeds up circulation, opens up pores and raises the skin temperature by attracting blood to the area. This improves the absorption by the body.
ŐSIMAGNESIUM does not use fine mist spray because sprays can cause 20-25% overspray, which is a waste and can make your bathroom floor messy. Plus, the high salt concentration can cause rusting on the metal parts of the pumps such as the metal springs.
The SENSITIVE MAGNESIUM OIL contains 50% less Magnesium Chloride salt than the regular oil. It has only 15% Magnesium Chloride concentration. This is created for individuals such as children with sensitive skin. Usage is the same as with the OIL.
The ŐSIMAGNESIUM OIL + OPTIMSM uses the world purest MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane – Dimethyl Sulfone) called OptiMSM. MSM is an organic compound that contains sulfur. Sulfur is the sixth most abundant macro mineral in breast milk and exists in our cells.
Numerous studies concluded that MSM helps other active ingredients penetrate thought skin, such as the Magnesium.
The many ways to use OSI Magnesium Oils:
- Apply magnesium oil liberally to clean skin of torso, legs, and arms. Avoid sensitive areas such as wounds and mucous membranes.
- It is normal to experience a tingling sensation during initial use, especially if they apply it to dry, not well hydrated skin, or areas of skinner skin layer such as inner arm, wrist or neck.
- If an unpleasant tingling sensation does occur, do not worry, select a less sensitive area of your body, such as your legs or calves and start with a few drops first and lower the application time to 1 or 2 minutes. Gradually, you can increase the time to 20-25 minutes and the amount to 2-3ml per application.
- After applying MG spray you may notice a slight salt mineral residue remaining when the solution dries. This is normal, it is just like when you swim in the Ocean, you can have the same salty feeling.
- You can rinse it or wipe it off with a wet towel after 20-25 minutes if desired.
- For muscle ache or cramps you should apply the oil to the area which is affected
- Athletes could apply magnesium oils both before and after exercise. Applying before could supply enough magnesium during exercise and can prevent muscle cramps, while post exercise it could speed up the recovery process significantly.
- For children only the SENSITIVE OIL is recommended. Try to apply it to their sole before bed time or after they fell asleep but be cautious.
- Be aware allowing the oil to soak longer than 30 or 40 minutes application can dry the skin for some individuals.
- Most people use the oil about 30 minutes before their shower to make it more convenient.
- Feel free to use the oils multiple times per day. Especially if your special situation (sport, nursing, recovering from surgery, stress etc.) requires more magnesium.
- To maximize the magnesium absorption you can either
- cover larger body surface with magnesium oil,
- hydrate your skin,
- increase the time oil is left on the skin (min 20 min),
- increase circulation of the top layer of the skin with massage,
- select hairy skin area, due to the fact that hair follicles play a viral part in the magnesium absorption,
- use oil with optiMSM since the MSM acts as a delivery agent and increases the magnesium absorption rate,
- use it with connection with other magnesium lotions (oil before shower, lotion after shower),
- take regular (max 2-3 times a week) high dosage (1-2Kg MgCl2 flakes / 50-80 liters bath water) magnesium flake baths,
- Magnesium overdose (Hypermagnesemia) is rare because the kidneys work to get rid of excess magnesium. Overdose is most often seen in people with kidney failure. Consult your doctor to use magnesium products if you have kidney problems.
- Magnesium Oil contains 101mg elemental Magnesium per 1ml
- Magnesium Oil + OptiMSM contains about 95mg elemental Magnesium and 125mg MSM (from OptiMSM®) per 1ml
How to use ŐSIMAGNESIUM Bath Flakes
ŐSIMAGNESIUM bath flakes offer a highly effective, yet calming means of absorbing magnesium with the benefit of an immersive, full body bath or convenient foot soak.
- Dissolve 200-600g or 1-3 cups (or more if desired) of the magnesium bath flakes into a warm footbath or full tub bath, and soak for 30 minutes or longer.
- You can dissolve up to 3 kg (6.6 lbs) of magnesium chloride flakes in a full bath tub for intense applications.
- Children can have sensitive skin, so you’ll want to start with a very dilute solution of 100g (3.5 ounces) per bath first. If there is no skin irritation, you can increase the dosage.
- Remember oceans have 3% salt (sodium chloride) concentration. To reach 3% concentration with Magnesium Chloride salt, you need to add over 600g per 10 liter bath water which is a lot of salt. (Note: Magnesium Chloride flakes contains only 47% pure Magnesium Chloride, the rest 53% is water and some trace minerals)
- Temperature of the water should be warm, but not hot. Hot water causes the skin to sweat and eliminate rather than absorb.
- Magnesium Bath Flakes contains approximately 12g elemental magnesium per 100g
How to use ŐSIMAGNESIUM Body Lotions and Body Butters
ŐSIMAGNESIUM Body Lotions skin nourishing properties made with the worlds purest magnesium oil and other fine ingredients, such as shea butter, sweet almond oil and OptiMSM®, forming a smooth, quickly absorbed emulsion. It is perfume free. Its fresh scent comes from organic east Indian lemon grass essential oil.
- Apply desired amount and massage thoroughly into clean skin.
- Best to use after a warm shower.
- We do not recommend applying to freshly shaven skin.
- Magnesium Body Lotion + OptiMSM contains 130mg elemental magnesium and 650mg MSM (from OptiMSM®) per 5ml / one teaspoon / 4 full pump press
How to use ŐSIMAGNESIUM Good Night Body Lotion + Melatonin + OptiMSM
ŐSIMAGNESIUM Good Night Body Lotion + Melatonin + OptiMSM skin nourishing properties made with the worlds purest magnesium oil and other fine ingredients, such as shea butter, sweet almond oil, OptiMSM® and Melatonin, forming a smooth, quickly absorbed emulsion. It is perfume free. Its fresh scent comes from organic east Indian lemon grass essential oil.
- Apply desired amount to chest, neck, or abdomen 30 minutes before sleep for best results.
- Magnesium Melatonin Body Lotion + OptiMSM contains 130mg elemental magnesium, 650mg MSM (from OptiMSM®) and 3mg of Melatonin per 5ml / one teaspoon / 4 full pump press
How to use ŐSIMAGNESIUM Gel and Cooling Massage Lotion
ŐSIMAGNESIUM magnesium Gel and Cooling Massage Lotion is a unique, viscous formulation designed for body massage to provide longer lasting lubrication on the skin.
Cooling Massage Lotion contains magnesium oil which relaxes the muscle, Menthol which provides cooling, fast pain relieving affect, while the Ginger and Arnica Montana help with the underlying inflammation. It does not contain Camphor which could be toxic for humans. Other beneficial plant based oils such as sunflower oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, soybean oil, castor oil and jojoba oil nourishes and provides vital nutrition’s to the skin.
How to use the gel and cooling massage lotion:
- Apply desired amount and massage thoroughly onto clean skin. Some therapist use Magnesium Oil as a first layer of application to increase magnesium concentration and to hydrate the skin to lower stickiness of the gel
- If magnesium gel begins to dry during extended use, wet your hands slightly and continue massaging skin to rehydrate.
- Neither Gel nor Cooling Lotion will fully absorb. Its main purpose is to provide long lasting lubrication for therapeutic massage.
- Cooling Massage Lotion contains less magnesium, only 25% of the Gel, so it could be used by sensitive individuals too, who don’t like the magnesium oil / gel itchiness.
- After use, rinse or wipe them off with a damp towel.
- Magnesium Gel: 500mg elemental magnesium per 5ml (one teaspoon)
- Cooling Massage Lotion contains 138mg elemental magnesium per 5ml / one teaspoon / 4 full pump press
Let us see why this specific mineral is so important for us, see our table of contents below:
Indispensable: How Much Magnesium Do I Need
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.