Staying Active with Kids in Spring| April 18, 2023
Spring is here! After a long and cold winter, it's finally time to get outside and enjoy the sunshine. Taking advantage of the lovely weather and engaging in outdoor activities is one of the best ways for families to keep healthy and active. Whether going for a nature walk, playing sports and games, having a family picnic, or simply playing in the backyard, there are endless opportunities for fun and adventure.
Staying active is crucial not only for physical health but also for mental wellness. Spending time in nature and participating in physical activity can reduce stress, boost mood, and improve overall health. Plus, by engaging in outdoor activities as a family, you strengthen bonds, create memories, and set a positive example for your children.
In this blog post, we'll be exploring fun and engaging outdoor activities that the whole family can enjoy during the spring season. From nature walks to backyard games, we'll provide ideas, tips, and motivation to make the most of this lovely time of year. So, grab your sunscreen, put on your walking shoes, and let's get started on our journey toward a healthier, happier, and more active family!
1. Nature Walks
Nature walks are not only a great way to get some fresh air and exercise, but they also provide numerous benefits for physical and mental health. Spending time in nature has been shown to boost mood, reduce stress and anxiety, and even reduce blood pressure1. In addition, it has been demonstrated that children who spend time in nature have greater concentration, enhanced cognitive ability, and enhanced creativity2.
A nature walk with kids may be fun and educational for the whole family. Before setting off, it is essential to evaluate the age and ability of your children and select a suitable trail. Seek routes with engaging elements, such as streams, ponds, or wildlife, to keep your kids interested.
To make the most of your nature walk, consider incorporating fun activities to keep your kids engaged and excited. For instance,
- Organize a scavenger hunt where your children must locate specific items, such as pinecones, various leaves, or animal tracks.
- Bring a camera and let your kids take pictures of the things they find along the way.
- Keep your children interested in their surroundings by playing educational games such as "I Spy" or "20 Questions."
- Bring a nature journal where your children can draw pictures of the things they see, write down their observations, or collect samples of leaves and flowers3.
Planning fun and engaging activities may turn a simple walk in nature into a memorable and informative experience for the whole family. So, grab your backpack and head out on a nature walk today!
2. Outdoor Sports and Games
Outdoor sports and games are a fantastic way for the whole family to get exercise and have fun. Outdoor activities not only provide multiple physical health benefits, such as improved strength and endurance, but also significant mental health benefits, such as stress reduction and mood-boosting.
The whole family may enjoy a wide variety of outdoor activities and games. Here are some suggestions to help you get started:
- Frisbee: A classic game that is easy to play and can be enjoyed by all ages.
- Soccer: A popular team sport that can be played with a ball and a few makeshift goals.
- Tag: A simple game that requires no equipment and can be played in various settings.
- Badminton: A fun and challenging game that can be played with a net and a few rackets.
- Hiking: A great way to explore the outdoors and get some exercise as a family4.
It is essential to consider safety when performing outdoor sports and games. These are some concerns to keep in mind:
- Always wear proper protective equipment such as helmets, pads, or proper footwear.
- Play in a safe area free from obstacles or hazards.
- Stay hydrated and take breaks as needed.
- Adjust the intensity level to match each family member's skill level and abilities.
Outdoor sports and games provide an excellent opportunity for families to have fun and be physically active. By choosing activities everyone enjoys and considering safety, you may build healthy family habits while creating lasting memories. Thus, grab a ball, a racket, or a frisbee and head outdoors today for some family fun!
3. Creative Outdoor Activities
Creative outdoor activities are a great way to encourage kids to express their creativity, learn new skills, and connect with nature. Creative activities not only provide a variety of mental and emotional benefits, such as boosting self-esteem and reducing stress, but they also allow kids to explore their environment and connect with nature.
Here are some innovative ideas for outdoor activities your family can enjoy together:
- Nature art: Collect natural materials such as leaves, flowers, and sticks and use them to create art.
- Nature journals: Use a notebook to record observations and sketches of plants and animals found in nature.
- Outdoor photography: Use a camera or smartphone to take pictures of flowers, trees, insects, and other natural elements.
- Garden planting: Teach kids how to plant and care for a garden.
- Build a birdhouse: Construct a birdhouse using wood and basic tools5.
When planning creative outdoor activities, it's important to keep things organized. Here are some suggestions to keep you on track:
- Create a schedule and stick to it: Set aside a specific time for outdoor activities each week and stick to it.
- Plan ahead: Make a list of materials needed for each activity and gather them ahead of time.
- Set boundaries: Establish clear rules and boundaries for each activity to keep everyone safe and on task.
- Clean up: Make sure to clean up materials and put things away after each activity to keep your outdoor space tidy.
Creative outdoor activities are an excellent way to help children to learn, develop, and connect with nature. By providing a range of activities that encourage creativity and learning, you can create an engaging and enlightening experience for your family. Hence, go outside and be creative today!
4. Family-Friendly Picnics
Family-friendly picnics are a wonderful way to enjoy the outdoors and spend quality time with your loved ones while eating tasty food. Picnics provide an opportunity for families to eat healthy food together, and they can be a pleasant way to enjoy some fresh air and sunshine.
Eating a healthy diet is crucial for sustaining overall health and wellness. Family picnics are a fantastic opportunity to educate and teach children about good eating habits and food choices. Fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain crackers or bread, lean protein like grilled chicken or turkey, and low-fat dairy items like cheese and yogurt are all great options for a picnic with the family6.
Here are some healthy and tasty picnic food ideas that are good for the whole family:
- Fresh fruit salad: A colorful and healthy mix of fresh fruits like strawberries, blueberries, kiwis, and oranges.
- Veggie wraps: A delicious and healthy option that is simple to prepare and adaptable to suit individual tastes.
- Grilled chicken skewers: A tasty and healthy option that is easy to make and can be paired with a variety of dipping sauces.
- Pasta salad: A classic picnic dish that can be made with whole-grain pasta and fresh vegetables.
There are several factors to consider when organising a picnic suitable for the whole family:
- Choose a location that is safe and comfortable for everyone.
- Bring enough food and drinks for everyone to enjoy.
- Pack utensils, plates, napkins, and other essentials.
- Plan activities that are suitable for all ages, such as outdoor games or nature walks.
Family-friendly picnics are an excellent opportunity to enjoy the outdoors, spend quality time with family members, and encourage healthy eating habits. By choosing healthy picnic foods and planning carefully, you can ensure that your family has a fun and enjoyable experience while also promoting healthy habits that can last a lifetime.
5. Staying Active in Your Backyard
Staying active in your backyard is an excellent way to get some fresh air, sunshine, and exercise without leaving the comfort of your house. Not only can playing in your backyard provide a number of physical and emotional benefits, such as enhancing coordination and reducing stress, but it also allows you to connect with nature and appreciate the great outdoors.
Here are a few suggestions for outdoor activities that may be performed at home:
- Obstacle courses: Set up an obstacle course in your backyard using cones, ropes, and other materials.
- Ball games: Play catch, soccer, basketball, or other ball games in your backyard.
- Water play: Set up a sprinkler, kiddie pool, or water table for some wet and wild fun.
- Nature scavenger hunt: Make a list of items for kids to find in the backyard, such as leaves, flowers, and insects.
- Outdoor art: Use sidewalk chalk, paint, or other materials to create outdoor art in your backyard7.
When creating a backyard play area, there are a few considerations to keep in mind to ensure that it is safe and fun for everyone:
- Choose age-appropriate equipment: Make sure that equipment is suitable for your children's age and skill level.
- Ensure proper supervision: Always supervise children while they are playing in the backyard.
- Consider safety measures: Make sure that the play area is free of hazards and that any equipment is properly installed and maintained.
- Provide shade and hydration: Ensure that there is a shaded area and access to water to stay cool and hydrated during outdoor play.
Overall, staying active in your backyard is a great way to promote physical activity and connect with nature. You may create an engaging and enriching experience for your family at home by offering a variety of outside activities and designing a safe and attractive outdoor play area. So, get outside and have some fun in your backyard today!
Plantain Salve for A Better Outdoor Experience
Harmony's Plantain Salve is made from natural ingredients such as plantain plant extract, olive oil, and beeswax, making it a safe and effective option for treating skin irritations commonly occurring during outdoor activities.
Plantain extract has been used for centuries for its medicinal properties, particularly its ability to soothe skin irritations and promote healing. Olive oil is enriched in antioxidants and has moisturizing properties, while beeswax helps make a protective barrier on the skin to stop further damage.
Together, these ingredients make Harmony's Plantain Salve an excellent choice for treating insect bites, cuts, scrapes, and other skin irritations that can occur while spending time outdoors. Applying this salve to the affected area can help to reduce inflammation, soothe the skin, and promote healing, allowing you to enjoy your outdoor experience to the fullest.
The Bottom Line
Staying active as a family in the spring season is a fun and rewarding way to promote physical and mental health, strengthen family bonds, and enjoy the great outdoors. You may build enjoyable and lifelong memories by exploring nature, participating in outdoor sports and games, engaging in creative activities, enjoying family-friendly picnics, and staying active in your backyard. By encouraging one another to make healthy decisions and remain physically active as a family, you may develop a strong and supportive community that assists one another in achieving their goals. Thus, gather your family and head outdoors to try new things, create lasting memories, and incorporate healthy habits into your daily life!
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.