Magnesium Used Topically is Best| June 08, 2021
Topical magnesium products are available in several different formats: magnesium lotions, gels, flakes, oils and body butters. Choose one or any combination to get your daily dose and feel great. Or click here to shop OSI Magnesium.
What is topical magnesium?
Transdermal magnesium is safe and effective for anyone to use. All transdermal means is that you absorb the magnesium through your skin. You can do this through lotions, gels, flakes, oils and body butters. It is an easy, inexpensive way to treat and prevent any magnesium-deficiency. The molecular structure of magnesium chloride is much more easily absorbed into the body through the skin than through the digestive track.
How does using magnesium topically work?
The skin has been a direct pathway into the body systems since the beginning of time. Luckily, science reveals to us why and how the skins membrane helps protect the body.
Many of us have heard of topical patches, which, when directly applied to the skin, can deliver medicine to aid in smoking cessation or deliver birth control hormones, for example. We also use products like Biofreeze or Tiger Balm when our bodies ache. The human skin appears to be impenetrable but we know that is not true, especially when we injure ourselves! Our skin is covered in tiny pores that are pathways to the multiple layers underneath.
The skin is a great barrier for keeping water and moisture in and keeping germs and bacteria out. This process, known as dermal absorption, allows substances to pass through the outer layers of the skin, through the lymphs, blood vessels, and into the bloodstream. This is a great thing when a mineral like magnesium is being soaked up by your skin, your lymphs, blood vessels and being moved throughout your bloodstream.
Read more about Magnesium!
Why is topical magnesium better than supplemental magnesium?
When one consumes a supplement, it passes through the stomach where it gets diluted in the gastric acid, and the effectiveness can be radically decreased by the digestive enzymes. And if too much magnesium is consumed, it can cause diarrhea, nausea, and abdominal cramping. Using magnesium topically, the skin can absorb it more efficiently, with little to no side effects.
Magnesium is an essential mineral for the human body and is required for survival. Using magnesium topically allows the body to take full advantage of this mineral without any negative effects.
What studies have been done on the effectiveness of transdermal magnesium?
Andrew Thomas with Better You, and Charles Heard with Cardiff University prepared a study that proved that elemental magnesium could be delivered to the cells of the body through a transdermal delivery (through the skin). The trial showed that the skin started absorption with immediate effect and the action was accelerated with a short period of massaging the application area after spraying.
How can I use Magnesium Transdermally?
Want more info? Click our different products listed below to learn more:
- Apply magnesium oil liberally to clean skin of torso, legs, and arms. Avoid sensitive areas such as wounds and mucous membranes.
- It is normal to experience a tingling sensation during initial use, especially if applied to dry, not well hydrated skin, or areas of thinner skin layer such as inner arm, wrist or neck.
- If an unpleasant tingling sensation does occur, do not worry, select a less sensitive area of your body, such as your legs or calves and start with a few drops first and lower the application time to 1 or 2 minutes. Gradually, you can increase the time to 20-25 minutes and the amount to 2-3mg per application.
- After applying magnesium oil you may notice a slight salt mineral residue remaining when the solution dries. This is normal, it is just like when you swim in the ocean, you can have the same salty feeling.
- You can rinse it or wipe it off with a wet towel after 20-25 minutes if desired.
- For muscle ache or cramps you should apply the oil to the area which is affected
- Athletes could apply magnesium oils both before and after exercise. Applying before could supply enough magnesium during exercise and can prevent muscle cramps, while post exercise it could speed up the recovery process significantly.
- For children only the SENSITIVE OIL is recommended. Try to apply it to their sole before bed time or after they fell asleep but be cautious.
- Be aware allowing the oil to soak longer than 30 or 40 minutes application can dry the skin for some individuals.
- Most people use the oil about 30 minutes before their shower to make it more convenient.
- Feel free to use the oils multiple times per day. Especially if your special situation (sport, nursing, recovering from surgery, stress etc.) requires more magnesium.
- To maximize the magnesium absorption you can either cover larger body surface with magnesium oil, hydrate your skin, increase the time oil is left on the skin (min 20 min), increase circulation of the top layer of the skin with massage, select hairy skin area, due to the fact that hair follicles play a viral part in the magnesium absorption, use oil with optiMSM since the MSM acts as a delivery agent and increases the magnesium absorption rate, use it with connection with other magnesium lotions (oil before shower, lotion after shower), take regular (max 2-3 times a week) high dosage (1-2Kg MgCl2 flakes / 50-80 liters bath water) magnesium flake baths,
- Magnesium overdose (Hypermagnesemia) is rare because the kidneys work to get rid of excess magnesium. Overdose is most often seen in people with kidney failure. Consult your doctor to use magnesium products if you have kidney problems.
Magnesium levels in OSI Magnesium Oil:
- Magnesium Oil contains 101mg elemental Magnesium per 1ml
- Magnesium Oil + OptiMSM contains about 95mg elemental Magnesium and 125mg MSM (from OptiMSM®) per 1ml
- Magnesium bath flakes offer a highly effective, yet calming means of absorbing magnesium with the benefit of an immersive, full body bath or convenient foot soak.
- Dissolve 200-600g or 1-3 cups (or more if desired) of the magnesium bath flakes into a warm footbath or full tub bath, and soak for 30 minutes or longer.
- You can dissolve up to 3 kg (6.6 lbs) of magnesium chloride flakes in a full bath tub for intense applications.
- Children can have sensitive skin, so you’ll want to start with a very dilute solution of 100g (3.5 ounces) per bath first. If there is no skin irritation, you can increase the dosage.
- Remember oceans have 3% salt (sodium chloride) concentration. To reach 3% concentration with Magnesium Chloride salt, you need to add over 600g per 10 liter bath water which is a lot of salt. (Note: Magnesium Chloride flakes contains only 47% pure Magnesium Chloride, the rest 53% is water and some trace minerals)
- Temperature of the water should be warm, but not hot. Hot water causes the skin to sweat and eliminate rather than absorb.
Magnesium levels in OSI Magnesium flakes:
- Magnesium Body Lotions skin nourishing properties made with the worlds purest magnesium oil and other fine ingredients, such as shea butter, sweet almond oil and OptiMSM®, forming a smooth, quickly absorbed emulsion. It is perfume free. Its fresh scent comes from organic east Indian lemon grass essential oil.
- Apply desired amount and massage thoroughly into clean skin.
- Best to use after a warm shower.
- We do not recommend applying to freshly shaven skin.
Magnesium levels in OSI Magnesium Body Lotion:
- Magnesium Body Lotion + OptiMSM contains 130mg elemental magnesium and 650mg MSM (from OptiMSM®) per 5ml / one teaspoon / 4 full pump press
- ŐSIMAGNESIUM Good Night Body Lotion + Melatonin + OptiMSM skin nourishing properties made with the worlds purest magnesium oil and other fine ingredients, such as shea butter, sweet almond oil, OptiMSM® and Melatonin, forming a smooth, quickly absorbed emulsion. It is perfume free. Its fresh scent comes from organic east Indian lemon grass essential oil.
- Apply desired amount to chest, neck, or abdomen 30 minutes before sleep for best results.
Magnesium levels in OSI Magnesium Body Lotion + Opti MSM:
- Magnesium Melatonin Body Lotion + OptiMSM contains 130mg elemental magnesium, 650mg MSM (from OptiMSM®) and 3mg of Melatonin per 5ml / one teaspoon / 4 full pump press
- ŐSIMAGNESIUM Magnesium Gel and Cooling Massage Lotion is a unique, viscous formulation designed for body massage to provide longer lasting lubrication on the skin.
- Cooling Massage Lotion contains Magnesium oil which relaxes the muscle, Menthol which provides cooling, fast pain relieving affect, while the Ginger and Arnica Montana help with the underlying inflammation. It does not contain Camphor which could be toxic for humans. Other beneficial plant based oils such as sunflower oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, soybean oil, castor oil and jojoba oil nourishes and provides vital nutrition’s to the skin.
- Apply desired amount and massage thoroughly onto clean skin. Some therapist use Magnesium Oil as a first layer of application to increase magnesium concentration and to hydrate the skin to lower stickiness of the gel
- If magnesium gel begins to dry during extended use, wet your hands slightly and continue massaging skin to rehydrate.
- Neither Magnesium Gel nor Cooling Lotion will fully absorb. Its main purpose is to provide long lasting lubrication for therapeutic massage.
- Cooling Massage Lotion contains less magnesium, only 25% of the Gel, so it could be used by sensitive individuals too, who don’t like the magnesium oil / gel itchiness.
- After use, rinse or wipe them off with a damp towel.
Magnesium levels in OSI Magnesium Gel:
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.