OMG! Holiday Stress – How to Cope
* Stressing out with the holidays happens, don’t let it ruin this special time. * There are easy ways to eliminate stress and enjoy the holidays
The holidays: travel, family, hotels, different beds, guests, food, black Friday, shopping, irregular schedules, desires, compulsions, etc …
Weddings, funerals and holidays bring out the best and/or the worst in all of us. Stress and a lack of managing expectations can ruin our ‘tidings of comfort and joy’.
But the holidays are unique in that, statistically, it increases the risk of illness and death. The issue of the journal, Circulation, Oct. 12, 1999, reveal that holiday stress and overindulgence contribute to increased rate of fatal heart attacks in December and January. 1. And the Mayo Clinic is concerned that depression is often an “unwelcome guest” during the holidays. 2.
Holiday stress can even affect children due to false expectations, social gatherings, rituals, memories. Holidays can quickly become overwhelming for adults and kids.
Good News! There are many ways to decrease your holiday stress so that you and your loved ones can enjoy the holidays.
1. Manage your expectations! You do not have to be perfect. Do the best that you can. Be realistic.
2. Acknowledge your feelings. Whether you or someone you know has experienced a loss it is ok to talk about this. Honor loved ones that have passed.
3. Set aside differences. Just get along. Know that you are not going to change anyone. Remember that relationships and family matter more than opinions, beliefs or feelings.
4. Stick to a budget. Do NOT overspend.
5. Plan ahead to avoid anything last minute.
6. Put yourself first. Do not overdo it. Say no.
7. Do not set aside your good healthy habits. It is not worth it.
8. Enjoy in moderation. One cookie is good. Five cookies are not worth it.
9. Take a breather. Breathe in some lavender. Just relax. Breathe deeply
Easier said than done! It is possible to enjoy the holidays without overdoing ... just put your health first and remember 'tis the season' for peace and love. And, the same with any other day, what you put into it is what you will get out of it. Practice kindness, smile and laugh often, be sympathetic with others, leave judgment behind. Hang out with people you enjoy and love. Learn from others.
Healthy Energy is the Foundation for an Amazing Life. Here at HEAL, we understand that sometimes it is really difficult during the holidays. Let us help out: Choose your favorite aromatherapy from our list for a free sampler delivered direct to you as our way of saying Happy Holidays!